This call for papers comes from Robin Reid, organizer of the Tolkien Studies area at the PCA/ACA national conference.
CFP: Queer Tolkien Studies
Paper Session(s) and Roundtable
For PCA/ACA 2018 National Conference
J.W. Marriott Indianapolis Downtown, Indianapolis, IN, US
March 28-31, 2018
Deadline for Submission: SEPTEMBER 28, 2017
These sessions will be co-sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian, and Queer Studies and the Tolkien Studies areas:
Bruce E. Drushel, Ph.D.
Gay, Lesbian, and Queer Studies
Department of Media, Journalism, & Film
Oxford OH 45056
Robin Anne Reid, Ph.D.
Department of Literature and Languages
Commerce, TX 75429
We wish to organize at least one paper session and one roundtable for the conference. PCA allows presenters to participate in one paper session and in one roundtable.
Submit a title and 100-word abstract with a working bibliography, a mailing address, institutional affiliation, and e-mail address to both area chairs by September 28, 2017. Please indicate clearly whether your proposal is for the paper session, or for the roundtable. If you wish to participate in both, you must submit two different proposals.
Presentations may focus on any aspect of textual production, audience reception, or textual coding that challenge established categories of gender and sexuality including but not limited to:
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans* or queer readings of Tolkien’s or Jackson’s texts;
- Readings that focus on non-normative but not clearly marked expressions of gender and sexuality in Tolkien’s or Jackson’s texts;
- Transformative or derivative works that queer Tolkien’s or Jackson’s texts;
- Intersectional queer readings of Tolkien’s or Jackson’s texts;
- Queer Theories/Theorists and Tolkien studies (including historical and biographical aspects as well as fiction and scholarship).
Plans for a Queer Tolkien Studies anthology (co-edited by Robin Anne Reid, Christopher Vaccaro, and Stephen Yandell) will be discussed at the PCA sessions.